The land was purchased in 1885 by Kings County and
became the Kings County Asylum
Within a few years after purchasing the land 16 cottages were constructed to
house the patients. They were separated in to two groups, one for the men
(above) and the other for the women (below). At this time the staff would live
in the houses with patients. The new idea being tried at the rural hospital was
to let the patients feel they were living in country and the treatment was rest,
fresh air, and working the farm for the good of the community.
With its Club House, Band Stand and view of the Long Island Sound it was
considered the Country Club of the Hospital system. Patients were
encouraged to rest in the fresh air, read, paint, enjoy music, and partake in
various arts and crafts. Within ten years thou conditions would deteriorate do
to the massive over crowding of patients and under staffing, causing the State to
take over. Conditions once again improved and the and the Hospital continued its
pioneering treatment of patients through farming and work therapy such as sewing
clothes and making shoes thus becoming a self sufficient community.